The Asian Library holds the largest collection on Indonesia worldwide, and some of the foremost collections on South and Southeast Asia, China, Japan and Korea.
Witte Singel 27
2311 BG Leiden
Tel: +31 71-5272814 (General)
Tel: +31 71-5272800 (Reception desk)
Ask a librarian
2300 RA Leiden
Information for visitors
The Asian Library is located on the 2nd floor of the University Library. Use of the Asian Library is limited to students and researchers using the Asian Studies collections.
More information may be found on our webpage for visitors and guests.
Study area and computer workstations
Use of the Asian Library is limited to students and researchers using the Asian Studies collections. Library staff is entitled to enquire about the purpose of your visit.
- 128 workplaces without PC
- 20 computer workstations
- copy machine
The Asian Library offers several group facilities:
- Garden 'Von Siebold' with 16 lounge chairs
- Group study room 'Kern' for 6 people (info and bookings)
- Seminar room 'Rouffaer' for 10 people (info and bookings)
- Cinema Room 'Vos' for 15 people (info and bookings)
- Researcher room 'Van Gulik' for 4 researchers (info and bookings)
The Asian Library spans several Asia collections, shelved on different locations in the University Library:
- Asian Library - 2nd floor: reference collections
- Reading Room Special Collections: Asian Special Collections. Items can be requested using the Catalogue.
- S-UB: Asian collections in open stacks
- Closed stacks: books and journals in closed stacks may be requested using the Catalogue.
Unesco Listed Heritage
No less than two items from Leiden University’s Asian heritage collection are included in UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register.
- La Galigo (1908) is the world’s largest epic, written in Buginese language and script: https://youtu.be/MtepExMpF-g
- In the manuscript Babad Diponegoro, the Javanese Prince and national hero Diponegoro (1785-1855) recounts his war against the Dutch (1825-1830): https://youtu.be/J1kZ2IYZlCU
Use of the computers in the Asian Library is limited to students and researchers using the Asian Studies collections.