A valid library card (LU-Card) is needed to be able to access the University Library and the Law Library, and to use the various library facilities.
Due to the international coronavirus situation, Leiden University Libraries has had to adjust its services.
Please find an up-to-date overview of our current range of services on our webpage on library services during the coronavirus situation.
Leiden University students are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card. Please apply for a LU-Card online.
Leiden University alumni are automatically registered for library membership. Your student's LU-Card will remain your library card. Alumni graduated before september 2006 can have a free library card made at the University Library. In addition to a valid means of ID we ask you to provide evidence of your graduation.
PhD graduates who do not have an alumni account may apply for a library guest account; please find more information on the Leiden University alumni page.
Leiden University and KITLV staff members and research fellows are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card. The card can be applied for online or at the University Library.
LUMC and GGZ Rivierduinen staff have to apply for a library card at the Walaeus Library.
Library card options for visitors and guests
No library card fee will be charged to:
- Leiden University external PhD candidates
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff at Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the 'Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde' (MNL), the KITLV Learned Society, the 'Vereniging Vrienden van het Instituut Kern' (VVIK), and the Società Dante Alighieri Leiden/Den Haag
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU (no access to the Law Library; access to the UB outside of exam periods only)
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen (no access to the Law Library; access to the UB outside of exam periods only)
To visit the libraries and use the library collections in-house for up to one week, visitors may purchase a day/week pass for €10. You will be issued with a library card and logon data for our computers, wifi, and catalogue.
Items can be requested from the University Library’s stacks, and from several other UBL locations. Materials will be made available for library use only, during service hours of the Reading Room Special Collections. To use materials the same day, please request them before 15h30, from Monday to Friday. Materials requested from other locations than the UB will need an extra day or more to be delivered.
Please note that day/week passes will not be issued to visitors seeking a study place in the Law Library, or in the University Library during exam periods.
Upon registering or renewing your library card, please bring personal identification: passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence, and proof of your current residential address. Should you (still) qualify for free membership, please bring proof of eligibility.
You will be notified by email when your library card is about to expire. In some cases we can renew your card without you having to visit the library in person. Please reply to the expiry date email, or contact us using Ask a librarian.
Information on library services and facilities for visitors can be found on our webpage on visiting the libraries.