A valid library card (LU-Card) is needed to be able to access the University Library and the Law Library, and to use the various library facilities.
Due to the international coronavirus situation, Leiden University Libraries has had to adjust its services.
Please find an up-to-date overview of our current range of services on our webpage on library services during the coronavirus situation.
Leiden University students are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card. The card can be applied for online or at Plexus.
Leiden University alumni are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library card.
Leiden University alumni graduated before september 2006 can have a free library card made at the University Library. In addition to a valid means of ID we ask you to provide evidence of your graduation.
Leiden University and KITLV staff members and research fellows are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card. The card can be applied for online or at the University Library.
LUMC and GGZ Rivierduinen staff have to apply for a library card at the Walaeus Library.
Visitors and guests
Please find all info on library services and facilities for visitors on our webpage on visiting the libraries.
An annual fee card for visitors costs €30. Please note that some access restrictions apply at both the University Library on Witte Singel and the Law Library.
To visit the libraries and use the library collections in-house for up to one week, visitors may purchase a day/week pass for €10. You will be issued with a library card and logon data for our computers, wifi, and catalogue.
Items can be requested from the University Library’s stacks, and from several other UBL locations. Materials will be made available for library use only, during service hours of the Reading Room Special Collections. To use materials the same day, please request them before 15h30, from Monday to Friday. Materials requested from other locations than the UB will need an extra day or more to be delivered.
Please note that day/week passes will not be issued to visitors seeking a study place in the Law Library, or in the University Library during exam periods.
No library card fee will be charged to:
- Leiden University external PhD candidates
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff at Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the 'Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde' (MNL), the KITLV Learned Society, the 'Vereniging Vrienden van het Instituut Kern' (VVIK), and the Società Dante Alighieri Leiden/Den Haag
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU (no access to the Law Library; access to the UB outside of exam periods only)
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen (no access to the Law Library; access to the UB outside of exam periods only)
Username and password
Your library card comes with a username and password for library computers, wifi, and the catalogue. In case you do not remember your library username and/or password, please apply for a new password online, or visit one of the library desks.
Documents to bring
Upon registering or renewing your library card, please bring personal identification (passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence) and proof of your current residential address. Should you (still) qualify for free membership, please bring proof of eligibility.