A personal library account and LU-Card is needed to enter the libraries and use on-site facilities.
Leiden University students, staff and alumni
Leiden University students are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card, right after it has been activated.
Leiden University staff and (dual) PhDs, and KITLV staff and research fellows are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card.
Please also get in touch with the Walaeus Library to communicate a change of address or other contact details, and for account renewals.
Leiden University alumni are automatically registered for library membership. Your student's LU-Card will still be used as library card.
PhD graduates who do not have an alumni account may apply for a library guest account; please find more information on the Leiden University alumni page.
Library card options for visitors and guests
Using Special Collections materials
Please find more information on using rare and old materials at the Special Collections webpages.
Outside of exam periods, most study places without a computer can be used freely by all library account and LU-Card holders.
- Due to publishers' licensing restrictions, guests and visitors may access digital resources from within the university network only
- Leiden University alumni have remote access to several of the databases offered by the library. Please visit Leiden Alumni Databases and sign in with your ULCN-account
- Freely available digital resources, requiring no library membership, include Leiden University Scholarly Publications and our extensive Digital Collections
A library account and LU-Card for visitors can be made in person only, at one of our library desks with the exception of the Law Library. Please check our library locations opening hours schedule.
Library cards may be issued to visitors of 16 years of age or over.
An annual fee card costs €30. The fee for a week pass (see below) is €10.
No library card fee will be charged to:
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff at Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the 'Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde' (MNL), the KITLV Learned Society, the 'Vereniging Vrienden van het Instituut Kern' (VVIK), and the Società Dante Alighieri Leiden/Den Haag
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen
To visit the libraries and use the library collections in-house for up to one week, visitors not eligible for a free library card can purchase a day/week pass for €10. You will be issued with a library card and logon data for our wifi and catalogue.
Items can be requested from the University Library’s stacks and from several other UBL locations. Materials will be made available for library use only, at the Reading Room Special Collections.
To be able to use materials the same working day, please request them before 15:30. Materials requested from other locations than the UB will need an extra day or more to be delivered.
Please note that day/week passes will not be issued to visitors merely seeking a place to study at the Law Library or, during exam periods, at the other library locations.
Upon registering or renewing your library card, please bring personal identification: passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence, and proof of your current residential address.
Should you (still) qualify for free membership, please show proof of eligibility.
You will be notified by e-mail when your library card is about to expire. In most cases we can renew your account without you having to visit the library in person. Please reply to the notification, or contact us using Ask a librarian.
Your library card comes with logon data for the catalogue and wifi use.
In case you do not remember your library username and/or password, please apply for a new password online.