A personal, activated library card (LU-Card) is required to enter the libraries and to use on-site library facilities.
Current library services
Due to nationwide coronavirus regulations, Leiden University Libraries (UBL) has had to adjust its services. For an up-to-date overview, please check our webpage on library services during the coronavirus situation.UBL library services during the coronavirus situation
Leiden University students, staff and alumni
Leiden University students are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card, right after it has been activated.
Leiden University and KITLV staff members and research fellows are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library (entrance) card. The card can be applied for online. After receiving the card, please have it activated before use.
LUMC and GGZ Rivierduinen staff can only apply for a library card at the Walaeus Library.
Leiden University alumni are automatically registered for library membership. Your student's LU-Card will still be used as library card.
PhD graduates who do not have an alumni account may apply for a library guest account; please find more information on the Leiden University alumni page.
Library card options for visitors and guests
Using Special Collections materials
During the national lockdown in The Netherlands, visitors and guests can temporarily not consult any Special Collections materials.
Access to digital resources
Due to publishers' licensing restrictions, visitors may access digital resources from within the university network only. Leiden University alumni have remote access to several of the databases offered by the library, using their ULCN-account at Leiden Alumni Databases.
Because of the current coronavirus situation access policies, we cannot offer visitors' access to these resources at the moment. Please contact us using Ask a librarian, in case you have any questions.
Due to coronavirus regulations, study places are currently not available for use by visitors.
A library account and LU-Card for visitors can be made in person only, at one of our library desks with the exception of the Law Library. Please check our staffed desk hours.
Given the dynamic nature of the corona guidelines, please check with the library location of your choice before visiting to register for a library card.
Upon registering or renewing your library card, please bring personal identification: passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence, and proof of your current residential address.
Should you (still) qualify for free membership, please show proof of eligibility.
An annual fee card costs €30. No library card fee will be charged to:
- Leiden University external PhD candidates
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff at Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the 'Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde' (MNL), the KITLV Learned Society, the 'Vereniging Vrienden van het Instituut Kern' (VVIK), and the Società Dante Alighieri Leiden/Den Haag
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen
You will be notified by email when your library card is about to expire. In most cases we can renew your account without you having to visit the library in person. Please reply to the notification, or contact us using Ask a librarian.