Renewing and returning
The initial loan period is three weeks.
The loan period for borrowed books may be renewed online using the catalogue. Renewal is not possible:
- for items reserved by other patrons
- for items having exceeded the maximum loan period of 6 months
- in case a second overdue notice has been issued for any item on loan
(please contact us by replying to the overdue notice, to check if renewal by library staff is still possible)
- in case of overdue fines
Borrowed items may be returned at any of the Leiden University Libraries (UBL) library locations.
Overdue regulations and fees
As soon as the due date is reached, the library will send overdue notices by email. Sending these reminders is a courtesy of Leiden University Libraries; no rights can be derived from not receiving them. Leiden University students, as well as Leiden University alumni graduated after August 2006, will receive overdue notices on their uMail-address.
- Week 1: 1st reminder.
No fee will be charged. Loans may be renewed up to a maximum of 6 months in 3 week periods, as long as the material is not reserved by another user.
- Week 2: 2nd reminder.
No fee will be charged. Your library account will be blocked. Renewal may be requested at one of the library information desks, by telephone, or by email, as long as the material is not reserved by another user.
- Week 3: 3rd reminder. A fine of 5 euros per book will be charged.
Your library account will remain blocked. All borrowed materials have to be returned to the library.
- Week 4: a last reminder will be sent by regular mail, to the home address registered to your library account.
- Week 6: the claim is handed to a debt-recovery agency. The library account remains blocked until all costs are paid. You will be charged a replacement fee for the book (€75 per book) and collection fee (15% of the value of the book, €40 minimum excluding VAT).
By using our services, you agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the UBL circulation policy.
Settling overdue fees
Overdue fines may be paid at any of the UBL library desks, either by debit card (pin or contactless) or credit card. The Walaeus Library accepts cash payments only.
As soon as a case is handed over to a collecting agency, fines and other fees must be settled with the agency.