The UBL includes the University Library, the Social and Behavioural Sciences Library, the Law Library, the Science Library, the Asian Library, the NINO Library, the Walaeus Library for medical studies (LUMC), and the Wijnhaven Library in The Hague. The Academic Historical Museum is part of UBL, and there are offices in Jakarta, Indonesia, and in Rabat, Morocco.
The history of Leiden University’s libraries goes back to 1575, when Prince William of Orange donated a copy of the Polyglot Bible to Leiden University. Nowadays, the vast scientific paper and digital collections comprise millions of books, journals and other library materials.
Furthermore, UBL provides access to special collections of international allure. Among these are medieval manuscripts, archives, old prints, maps, sketches, drawings and photographs from all over the world.
Read more about the libraries' history on Wikipedia.
The Management Team is supported by:
- Secretariat: +31 71 5272832
- Staff member MT: Lenny Vos
- Communication Advisor: Erik Weber
- Communication Officer: Guus Janssen
Research and Education Support
Centre for Digital Scholarship (CDS)
The CDS supports and facilitates digital scholarship within Leiden University.
- Head of department: Laurents Sesink
- Data management contact: email@example.com
- Open Access contact: Saskia Woutersen-Windhouwer
- Copyright expert: Erna Sattler
Head of department: Marieke van Meer
The curators manage, build and disseminate the Special Collections.
Services and Collection Information Special Collections is responsible for the services related to the use of and access to the Special Collections, both physical and through Digital Collections.
Head of department: Saskia van Bergen
Faculty Liaison & Services
Subject librarians provide in-depth support for research and education, develop the library collections, and offer information skills workshops.
- Head of department: Bart van der Steen
- All subject librarians
Medical Information Specialists
User Services provides the services in and development of library spaces, answers user questions and offers information literacy workshops
- Head of department: Anneke Dirkx
- Head of location University Library: Jacqueline van der Linde
- Head of library locations: Jaap van der Plas
Library Process Support
Functional application management of library systems and research support systems.
- Head of department: Hugo de Krijger
Innovation & Projects
Development of products and services in support of education and research.
- Head of department: Bas Vat
Metadata Services & Acquisitions
Processing and formal cataloguing of both physical documents and digital resources.
- Head of department: Jacob Heeren
Stacks Maintenance & Services
Storage and conservation of all of the UBL’s physical library collections.
- Head of department: Vincent van Jaarsveld