The libraries offer nearly 2000 study places. Some are freely available, some need to be booked in advance.
Exam period: 10 - 30 October 2022
Library study places
Outside of exam periods, most regular library seats can be freely used by visitors owning a valid library card (LU-Card). 'Booking only' study places, such as computers and group study rooms, can be used by Leiden University students only.
Study places marked with a dark blue sticker
- Available to Leiden University students only, after online reservation
Study places marked with a light blue sticker
- Outside of exam periods: freely available to all library visitors
- During exam periods: only available to Leiden University students, after online reservation
Study places marked with a white sticker
- Freely available, no booking options
Most computers are available for use by Leiden University students only. They must be booked in advance year-round.
All library locations will offer several computers for use by other visitors. These places are marked with a white sticker. They cannot be reserved.
The UB on Witte Singel offers sixteen individual study rooms, for use by Leiden University students. The rooms must be booked in advance.
At the Asian Library, only Leiden University Asian Studies students can reserve study places. Please find more information on our dedicated Asian Library info page.
Check our application Study Spots for a real-time estimate on how busy each UB study area currently is.
Study places during exam periods
During exam weeks, study places are available to Leiden University students only. Seats, including those marked with a light blue sticker, must be booked in advance.
All library locations will have some study places available for visitors to whom the UBL library access restrictions do not apply. In the University Library this applies to reading room 1. These study places are marked with a white sticker; they cannot be reserved.
|Upcoming exam periods|
Booking a study place
- Go to Leiden University's online study place booking system and log on using your student account
- Choose a location, date, time and duration (max. 4 hours)
- Select an available seat
- Confirm your booking
Study place seat numbers can be found on each desk.
Using your booked study place
You can use your reserved study space only after having checked in.
- At the University Library and Law Library, you will automatically be checked in upon scanning your LU-Card at the entrance turnstiles
- At other library locations, please scan the QR-code on the check-in posts near the ‘SharedDesk for Students Check-in’ banners
Make sure to check in on time: your reservation will be cancelled if you have not checked in within 30 minutes after your booking's start time. The seat will then be available for use by another student.
Several areas within the libraries, specifically the reading rooms, are marked as silent zones. Outside of these zones you may confer in a subdued voice.
Leiden University offers two wireless networks: Eduroam (preferred, for university students and staff) and Leiden University Wireless Access.