Life Science & Technology
Overview of databases, reference works and websites for research in Life Science & Technology
The library for biology, chemistry and pharmacology is located on the first floor of the Gorlaeus building. In addition, the medical Walaeus library, located at the LUMC, holds a collection of interest for life scientists.
PubMed (note: not PubMed Central) focuses on medical literature and includes information on clinical trials. If you want to know about the effects of a drug or the pharmacokinetics (how the drug is absorbed into the body, processed and secreted) PubMed is a good source. The articles all get Medical Subject Headings (MeSH terms), which makes it easy to search for a particular type of drug or effect.
Web of Science is a general and broad database which also includes chemical and medical literature. An advantage of WoS is that it keeps track of citations to articles, making 'top items' easier to find.
ToxNet - a set of databases that addresses the risks of chemicals and toxicity.
Cochrane Library- a series of databases in which medical studies are assessed and compared in order to achieve a proper evaluation of the effect of a drug (Evidence Based Medicine).
The publication of data as part of an article or as a standalone publication is becoming increasingly common in chemistry. The following sites are some of the most important places for data publications:
- Search for specific data in re3data.org
- Use Elsevier's Datasearch when searching for datasets within Figshare and Dryad
- Brenda: enzyme functional data
- Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre (CCDC)
- Gramene: comparative resource for plants
- Protein Data Bank (PDB), 3d-structures of proteins, nucleic acids, and complex assemblies
- TAIR: genetic and molecular biology data for the higher plant Arabidopsis thaliana
- ZFIN: Zebrafish Model Organism Database
- KNCV: Royal Dutch Chemical Society, publishes the journal C2W Life Sciences
- NBV: Dutch Biotechnical Society
- NVBMB: Netherlands Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Protocols Online: protocols for research in the life sciences
- Scitable: resources on genetics and cell biology from Nature Publishing Group