Art & Art History
Overview of databases, reference works and websites for research in Art & Art History
- Traditional genres, such as architecture, crafts, photography and printmaking; additionally world art, philosophy and theory of art, heritage, art in relation to society, and history of collecting
- Text books, exhibition catalogues, monographies, reference works, films
- English, Dutch, to a lesser extent German, French and Italian
You can find a reference collection with primary and secondary literature on an array of subjects, bibliographies and dictionaries, on the first floor of the University Library. Items from the reference collection cannot be borrowed but it is possible to make copies or scans.
The reference collection is organized by the Library of Congress Classification (LCC). Books in the field of arts usually have the following subject codes:
|NC||Drawing. Design. Illustration|
|NX||Arts in general|
Current issues of journals in the field of Art which are not available online are placed in the round journal cabinets at the entrance of reading room 5. Other relevant journals can be found at entrance 2 (Archeology), and entrances 3 and 4 (History).
Books on theatre and film are located at study room 8. Books and journals on photography (TR), print media (NE) and drawing (NC) can be found at the reference libraries of the special collections department, entrance 3 on the second floor. Art in the Classical World can be found near subject code N.
General Reading List
- Arnason, H.H., and Daniel Wheeler. A History of Modern Art : Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography. 3rd Ed. / Rev. and Updated by Daniel Wheeler. Thames and Hudson, 1988.
- Gardner, Helen, and Fred S. Kleiner. Gardner's Art through the Ages : A Global History. 14th Ed.: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning, 2013.
- Honour, Hugh, and John Fleming. A World History of Art. 7th [rev.] ed. King, 2005.
- Stokstad, Marilyn, David Cateforis, and Stephen Addiss. Art History. 2nd ed. Abrams, 2002.
Theory and Methodology:
- Hatt, Michael and Charlotte Klonk. Art History: A Critical Introduction to Its Methods. Manchester University Press, 2006.
- Nelson, Robert S., and Richard Shiff. Critical Terms for Art History. 2nd ed. University of Chicago Press, 2003.
- Preziosi, Donald. The Art of Art History. A Critical Anthology. Oxford History of Art. Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Asia Art Archive: growing digital archive of primary source material culled by individual art practitioners and researchers in cities across Asia.
- British Library (Flickr): collection of public domain resources.
- Europeana: online collection of millions of digitized items from European museums, libraries, archives and multi-media collections
- Gallica: contains over 1,00,000 digital objects including maps and images.
- Getty Open Content Images
- Metropolitan Museum: almost 500,000 open access images
- MOMA: Museum of Modern Art
- New York Public Library: growing collection of prints, photographs, maps, and more.
- PHAROS: image database created by an international consortium of fourteen European and North American art historical photo archives.
- Rijksmuseum Images: high resolution images of paintings in museum collections.
- Smithsonian Institution: over 10 million records of museum objects and more.
How-to cite images
Oxford Bibliographies Online - Art History
Cinema and Media
RKD Explore searches several RKD databases and retrieves biographical information, publications and images.
Oxford Art Online: dictionary of art