Data analysis with Python
- Friday 15 September 2023 - Friday 29 September 2023
- The course consists of three in-person sessions on 15th, 22nd and 29th September, 09:30h to 13:00h.
Witte Singel 27
2311 BG Leiden
This course offers an introduction to data analysis and data visualisation using Python. In these more advanced classes, participants will learn about the main techniques that can be used to clean, enrich, analyse and visualise data.
The course assumes a basic level of proficiency in Python. It applies many of the topics that have been covered in the introductory course on programming in Python.
The course is open to researchers and staff from Leiden University and consists of three in-person sessions, on 15, 22 and 29 September 2023, all from 09:30 to 13:00h. The sessions will be held at the University Library.
What you will learn
This course tries to guide participants through a simple data science workflow. Each session discusses a part of the workflow.
- Week 1: Data acquisition via APIs and web scraping
- Week 2: Data transformation and analysis with Pandas
- Week 3: Data visualisation with matplotlib and Seaborn
Next to joining the sessions, participants are also requested to do some background reading and to carry out coding tasks as homework. The total workload is estimated at about 20 hours.
All registered participants will receive practical instructions on how to prepare for the course approximately two weeks before the start.