Services for visitors and guests
The Leiden University Libraries welcome scholars and other visitors looking to use the library's unique research collections.
To be able to use library facilities, and to access the University Library and the Law Library, visitors need a valid library account and a LU-Card. The library account will be made on the spot, at one of the library locations, except for the Law Library.
Annual fee card
An annual fee card for visitors costs €30. Please note that some access restrictions apply at the University Library on Witte Singel and at the Law Library.
A library card free of charge
No library card fee will be charged to:
- Leiden University external PhD candidates
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff at Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the 'Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde' (MNL), the KITLV Learned Society, the 'Vereniging Vrienden van het Instituut Kern' (VVIK), and the Società Dante Alighieri
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU (no access to the Law Library; access to the UB outside of exam periods only)
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen (no access to the Law Library; access to the UB outside of exam periods only)
Visitors wishing to use the library collections for one day only may purchase a day pass for €10. On the day of purchase, the card allows you to access the libraries and use reading room materials. Materials may be requested from the University Library’s stacks, for library use during service hours of the Reading Room Special Collections.
To use materials the same day, requests should be placed before 15h30, from Monday to Friday. A day pass can not be used to request materials shelved at a library location outside of the University Library.
Documents to bring
Upon registering or renewing your library card, please bring personal identification (passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence) and proof of your current residential address.
Should you (still) qualify for free membership, please bring proof of eligibility.
Borrowing and consultation
An annual fee card or a free library card allows you to borrow materials from the various UBL library locations.
In general, early printed works, maps, atlases, manuscripts and other rare and valuable items as well as reading room collections are non-circulating. Reading room items may be consulted on the spot, all other non-circulating items can be requested using the catalogue; they will be made available for consultation at the Reading Room Special Collections.
Upon registering for library membership, you will be issued with personal logon data for Leiden University’s wireless network. We recommend bringing your own device.
Subscription-based article databases and electronic journals may be accessed using the catalogue. Due to licensing restrictions, visitors may access these resources from within the university network only.
Freely available UBL digital resources, requiring no library membership, include Leiden Repository, Leiden Digital Special Collections, and KITLV Digital Resources.
Printing and photocopying
For printing and photocopying, the LU-Card is used.