Library card: the LU-Card
Leiden University students, staff and graduates, and KITLV staff and research fellows are automatically registered for library membership. Your LU-Card doubles as library card.
Leiden University Alumni graduated before september 2006 can have a free library card made at one of the library desks. In addition to a valid means of ID we ask you to provide evidence of your graduation.
LUMC and GGZ Rivierduinen staff have to apply for a library card at the Walaeus Library.
Annual fee card
Visitors can obtain an annual fee card for €30. The card can be made at any of the UBL library desks. We accept debit card (contactless or PIN) and credit card payments.
The fee for a visitor’s day pass, valid on the day of purchase, is €10. The card allows you to access the University Library (UB), to consult materials and to use computer and WIFI facilities within the libraries. Please find more information on our webpage services for visitors and guests.
Visitors wishing to use the Asian Library collections may refer to the library desk on the ground floor of the UB to request access rights.
Free library card
No library card fee will be charged to:
- Leiden University external PhD candidates
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff of Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the 'Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde' (MNL), the KITLV Learned Society, the 'Vereniging Vrienden van het Instituut Kern' (VVIK), and the Società Dante Alighieri
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students enrolled at Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU, and Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen (no access to the Law Library; access to the University Library (UB) on Witte Singel outside of exam periods only)
Should you (still) qualify for free membership please bring proof of eligibility.
Documents to bring
Upon registering or renewing your library card at the library desk, please bring personal identification (passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence) and proof of your current residential address.
Account period and renewal
A library card is usually valid for one year; a visitor's day pass is valid on the day of purchase. For students at Dutch universities the account period matches the academic year. The account period may be extended at one of the library desks.
Lost or stolen card
Please report loss or theft of your LU-Card immediately at one of the LU-Card desks, in order for your card to be blocked. The fee for a replacement card is €15.