Latin American Studies
Overview of databases, reference works and websites for research in Latin American Studies
The collections linguistics, literature and (cultural) history of Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula are located in the University Library. Most of the collection in the University Library is housed in closed stacks. Items can be requested through the Catalogue.
Items with a focus on anthropological, sociological and political developments are located in the University Library and the Social and Behavioral Sciences library.
Reference materials on linguistics, literature and history of Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula are located in the reading rooms on the first floor of the University Library. They contain:
- Reference works and bibliographies
- General studies on linguistics, literature and history
- Current years of printed reviews
Items are organized by the Library of Congress Classification (LCC). Items cannot be borrowed, but it is allowed to make fotocopies or scans inside the building.
The reference collection of the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) is located in the S-UB (basement, stairs are next to the information desk). The KITLV thesaurus indexes keywords which are a powerful instrument for searching the KITLV collections. The thesaurus is kept up untill July 2014.
Current issues of journals in the field Latin American Studies which are not available online are placed in the round journal cabinets in the reading rooms. Please consult the Catalogue. Back volumes are placed in the S-UB.
Factiva is a database of fulltext articles from thousands of international newspapers, including Latin American.
Hispanic American Periodicals Index (HAPI) is a database with bibliographical records of articles, bookreviews and other material on Latin America.
Handbook of Latin American Studies (HLAS) online is a bibliographical database on latin America, edited by the Hispanic Division of the Library of Congress.
LANIC is a subject guide on Latin America, hosted by the University of Texas, Austin.
Language and Linguistic Behavioral Abstracts is a bibliographical database on linguistics.
Modern Language Association international Bibliography (MLA) is a bibliographical database literature and linguistics, edited by the Modern Language Association.
The Arts & Humanities Citation Index is part of Web of Science and a bibliographical database on Humanities
- De Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes is the largest digital library in the field of Spanish and Spanish-American culture.
- Biblioteca Ayacucho Digital is a e-book collection, published by the Fundación Biblioteca Ayacucho.
- Digital Library of the Caribbean
A selection of websites for Latin American Studies
Libraries, universities and other research institutions
- Anda Suriname
- Association of Caribbean Historians
- Ibero-Amerikanisches Institut
- Mongui Maduro Stichting
- Nationaal Archief Suriname
- Nationaal Instituut Nederlands slavernijverleden en erfenis
- Real Academia Española
- SLAS (Society for Latin American Studies, UK)
- The Society for Caribbean Studies website
- Stichting Instituut ter bevordering van de Surinamistiek
- Stichting Surinaams Museum: photos
- Stichting voor Surinaamse genealogie
- University of the West Indies
- Vertegenwoordiging Curaçao
- Werkgroep Caraïbische letteren