Want to study in the library? Reserve a study place!
Leiden University students can reserve a study place at the University Library, including the Asian Library, and at the Law Library, the Social and Behavioural Sciences Library, Science Library and Wijnhaven Library in The Hague. Leiden University PhD candidates can book a workplace in the University Library.
Make a reservation
Only Leiden University students can book library study places. Leiden University PhD candidates can book a workplace in reading room 1 at the University Library. Please use Chrome, Firefox or Safari and login with your ULCN-account.
Study places at UBL
- University Library (UB)
- Wijnhaven Library, The Hague
- Social and Behavioural Sciences Library
- Law Library
- Science Library
- Walaeus Library (LUMC students only)
- University Library reading room 1 (PhD candidates only)
Other study places
If you've made a reservation for a study place but can't come to the library, please cancel your reservation via 'my reservations', below your name in the top-right corner of the page, so someone else can use your spot.
If you have any questions about reserving a study place, take a look at the FAQ's.
Info and opening hours for Arsenaal and Plexus study places are available on the student website.
The number of available study places and the location of those study places within the library are indicated in the reservation system. Only numbered spots are available. Have a look at the floor plans in the right-hand sidebar, indicating the numbered study place areas for the UB.
Please choose a time-slot upon reserving a study place. You can make one reservation per day for a study place during one time-slot. Reservations can be made one day in advance.
At the University Library (UB), apart from regular study places with or without computer, you can book individual study rooms and group study rooms seats. Please note that to be able to use the group rooms together, participants will need to book seats individually.
Workplaces for PhD candidates
Only Leiden University PhD candidates can book workplaces in reading room 1 at the University Library.
|Location||9:00 - 13:00||14:00 - 18:00||19:00 - 23:00|
|University Library||Mon - Sun||✓||✓||✓|
|Wijnhaven Library, The Hague||Mon - Sun||✓||✓||✓|
|Social and Behavioural Sciences Library||Mon - Fri||✓||✓||✓|
|Sat - Sun||-||-||-|
|Law Library||Mon - Fri||✓||✓||✓|
|Sat - Sun||✓||✓||-|
|Science Library||Mon - Fri||✓||✓||-|
|Sat - Sun||-||-||-|
(LUMC students only)
|Mon - Fri||✓||✓||✓|
|Sat - Sun||-||-||-|
A confirmation e-mail will be sent to your uMail address after booking. Please make sure to check your spam folder or your forwarding settings if you didn't receive an e-mail. Activate the link in the e-mail before arriving at the library.
Access and use of study places
When a reservation has been approved, you will receive a digital confirmation of your reservation. On the indicated date and time, please check in at the reception desk, showing your reservation on your smartphone. After a brief check of your reservation you will be allowed to enter the library. Follow the indicated walking route to your study place. Within the building, all walking routes are one-way only to ensure that passing one another is kept to a minimum.
At the end of your reserved time-slot, you can leave the library via the indicated walking route. The end time of time-slots may not be exceeded. If you used books from the library shelves, please leave them on the nearest book cart when leaving the library. Study places will subsequently be cleaned for the next user.
- Clean your hands carefully before entering the library. Disinfectant gel is provided at the entrance of each location.
- Keep a minimum distance of 1.5 meters to other users at all times.
- A maximum of one person at a time can enter the bathrooms.
- Cough and sneeze in your elbow, not in your hand.
- If necessary, use disposable tissues and throw them in the trash after use.
- Wash your hands regularly, with water and soap.
Our other services
- Loanable books and journals from every UBL location can be requested using the catalogue. Requests can be picked from booklockers at the location of your choice (University Library, Social and Behavioural Sciences Library, Van Steenis building, and Wijnhaven Library in the Hague). No seat reservation is required for book pick-up.
- At the University Library and Wijnhaven Library in The Hague, students can make an appointment to print documents or to transfer files from the P-disk. For this purpose, a 20-minute time-slot can be reserved.
- Researchers at Leiden University who need access to Special Collections, can reserve a time-slot at the Reading Room Special Collections.
- Books from other university libraries can be requested through WorldCat.