CANCELLED - Programming in Python
- Friday 20 March 2020
- The second session is on 20th March , the third on 3rd April, same time: 09:30-12:30
- University Library
Witte Singel 26-27
2311 BG Leiden
- to be announced two weeks in advance
This course offers a basic and accessible introduction to programming in Python, aimed specifically at researchers and teachers without prior coding skills.
During three interactive weeks, this course will explain the core features of the Python programming language, including topics such as variables, data types and control structures. Additionally, participants will learn about the main techniques that can be used to clean, enrich, analyse and visualise data.
The course consists of three sessions on 6th March, 20th March and 3rd April, all 09:30-12:30
For more information or to enroll, you can send an email to: email@example.com
What you'll learn
- Installing Python and running code via the command line
- Variables and data types
- Control structures
- Modules and libraries
- Jupyter notebooks
- Data acquisition via web scraping and APIs
- Cleaning and enriching data sets
- Data analysis with Pandas
- Data visualisation with matplotlib
The course consists of three sessions of three hours each. Participants are also requested to do some background reading and to carry out simple coding tasks as homework. The total workload is estimated at about 20 hours.
Approximately two weeks before the start all registered participants will receive practical instructions on how to prepare for the course.