EdTech for Sustainability: Designing Conferencing to go Digital
- Thursday 20 February 2020
2312 NV Leiden
Join us for a Design Thinking afternoon to come up with solutions for sustainable conferences
There are many reasons to facilitate virtual conferencing, including climate change, work pressure, and seeking to include a diverse audience. During this Design Thinking Session, we will discuss the kind of issues that come about when organising sustainable (digital) conferences and look for tech and non-tech solutions. These solutions will be based on best practices from EdTech and existing pilots in various fields from all over the globe.
Our goals is to create some prototyped solutions that help us to create and execute sustainable (virtual) conferences. We will also determine concrete steps we can take to further develop our most viable prototypes.
What you'll get out of it:
- A presentation about state of the art virtual conferencing
- Collaborating on best practices and a code for sustainable organising
- An action plan to help convince your colleagues to organise conferences sustainably, including flying less
- Giving input on possible improvements of the available technology of virtual conferencing
Academics, students and facilitators who wish to find (digital) solutions to #FlyingLess and other SDG challenges in organising conferences, seminars and academic project meetings. Participants from in and outside Leiden University are welcome.
Virtual participation possible and results & resources will be online afterwards.
13:00 -14:00 Plenary Session
After the opening there will be a brief virtual keynote address by dr Parke Wilde of @flyingless
15 minute break
14:15-16:30 Sub-sessions: designing a prototype
There will be three sub-sessions to design prototypes, and we will assign you to one beforehand based on your input in registration.
- How to organise your event sustainably?
- How to convince people to implement (digital)sustainability practices in your organisation?
- How can we improve digital applications for long distance exchanges?
15 minute break
16:45 -17:30 Plenary Session
Results of the sub-sessions: Pitch your prototypes & give feedback. We will be joined live by Dr. Parke Wilde to comment on the pitches.
17:30-18:00 Networking & Drinks