Call for Papers Mapping Asia symposium
Leiden University Libraries and The Commission on the History of Cartography of the International Cartographic Association (ICA) kindly invites you to submit a paper for the International Symposium
Mapping Asia – Cartographic Encounters between East and West on 15-16 September 2017.
The central theme of the conference is the mutual influence of Western and Asian cartographic traditions. The focus will be on where Western and Asian cartographic history meet. Geographically, the topics will be limited to South Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia with special attention to India, China, Japan, Korea and Indonesia.
Topics of the symposium are:
• What defines Asia? The arbitrary borders between Europe and Asia on the map
• Asian cartographic traditions
• Asian toponomy and cartography
• Cartography and intercultural contact
• Missionary and colonial cartographies of Asia
• Asian cartography in the collections of Leiden University Libraries
• Philipp Franz von Siebold and the cartography of Japan
• and all papers of merit
On the website of the Symposium Mapping Asia you will find more detailed information and the submission form for the Call for Papers. All inquiries can be directed to Martijn Storms (email@example.com).
The deadline for the Call for Papers is 15 February 2017.